Registration Dates: following tryouts
Season Dates: Year round
Tryouts: Spring – April, Fall – June/July
Fields and Facilities: Eagleview and other fields in Uwchlan Twp
Eligible Addresses: Live in Downingtown Area School District (DEHS area)/some outside players accepted
Player Info: Boys – 9U-12U (age as of 4/30/2016)
Required Equipment: Supplied by player: Glove, cleats, baseball pants
Supplied by LYA: Uniform (shirt, socks, hat), bats, balls
Contact Information: Junior Hillcats Commissioner: TBD
LYA is excited to continue an LYA sponsored year round baseball program under the name of the Lionville Jr Hillcats. The program continues to grow as we look for more talented individuals proud to wear the Hillcats logo. If you go to school in the Downingtown East School district or play in LYA Little League territory you can play on a Lionville Junior Hillcats team.
Each coach determines the schedule that they want to have and the number of tournaments they want to play in. Since it is up to the coach to determine the schedule and the number of players, the exact dues are calculated at a later date. (See below for more specific information on the 11U program.)
Lionville Jr Hillcats provide:
- The most competitive baseball in the Tri-State area
- Tournaments and scrimmages vary depending on age group
- Great Fields – Optimal field availability
- Great instructional opportunities
- Winter Training
2016 Coach Information
12U (50/70) – Coach: Charles Lemler (email@example.com)
11U (50/70) – Coach: Jonathan Dale (firstname.lastname@example.org)
10U White – Coach: Scott Singley (email@example.com)
10U Blue – Coach: Jeff Clark (firstname.lastname@example.org)
9U – Coach: TBD
There have been two teams at certain age groups in prior seasons. This will continue as long as there is interest and enough skilled players to have a competitive second team.
– If you have general questions, please contact LYA Administrative Assistant: email@example.com
For age group program specifics, please contact the appropriate team coach.
Message from 11U Junior Hillcats Coach:
The 11U Blue Hillcats is a travel baseball team that offers the highest level of competitive baseball in Pennsylvania and the entire Tri-State area. The team will play 5-6 weekend tournaments per year (full weekends – 3-5 games a tourney), a 6-8 game travel league schedule plus other scrimmages (a variety of Sunday doubleheaders). In total the team will play roughly 40 games in a calendar year (excluding Little League games which could add 12-15 games to the player’s baseball schedule).
Hillcats is much different than Little League in the following ways:
1. Competition is greater – we have played travel teams from NY, DE, NJ, PA, VA and MD.
2. Rules are more advanced, namely unlimited steals, unlimited runs, leads off bases, balks and no minimum pitch counts.
3. 11U Hillcats will move to an Intermediate Field (mound distance is 50 feet and base paths are 70 feet). Little league pitching distance is 46 feet and base paths are 60 feet.
4. Commitment is greater. Spring season starts in February with indoor workouts and ends mid June. Fall ball starts in August and ends late October/early November. Players are expected to make the majority of games and practices. Players that miss a lot of practices and games tend to struggle as the competition increases. Additionally, this is a travel team and it would be unfair to the team if we didn’t have enough players to compete in a game or tournament due to a lack of commitment. Playing time can be impacted if a large number of practices and games are missed.
5. No playing time guarantees, players do not play every position, lineups are based on performance.
6. Cost is more expensive as dues cover tournament fees, indoor facility costs, equipment, field maintenance, insurance, etc… Coaches are all unpaid volunteers.
Hillcats is a great opportunity for the advanced youth baseball player to improve his/her skill set against top notch competition.